The Supernatural Acts of the Disciples
General Success of the Disciples Under Jesus' Training
- Jesus trains his disciples for three years in the principles of faith to heal and deliver [Matthew 10:1, Mark 3:14-15, Mark 6:7, Luke 9:1].
- The disciples have success in their healing and deliverance ministries [Mark 6:13, Luke 9:6, Mark 16:20].
- Peter walks on the water under the supervision of Jesus [Mark 14:28-31].
Success of the Seventy
- Jesus sends the Seventy out [Luke 10:1] and commands them, "to heal the sick there, and say to them, The kingdom of God has come near to you [Luke 10:9].
- The seventy return with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name [Luke 10:17].
Unknown Disciple Casting Out Demons
- Now John answered Him, saying, Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us. But Jesus said, Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle [dunamis] in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me. For he who is not against us is on our side [Mark 9:38-40 and Mark 9:39].
Supernatural Acts of The Disciples After Jesus' Ascension
- "Then Peter said, silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk. And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them-walking, leaping, and praising God. And all the people saw him walking and praising God" [Acts 3:6-8 and Acts 3:1-10, Acts 3:16].
General Statements of Supernatural Acts by the Disciples of Jesus Christ
- "What shall we do to these men? For, indeed, a notable miracle has been done through them is evident to all who dwell in Jerusalem, and we cannot deny it" [Acts 4:16].
- "And through the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were done among the people. And they were all with one accord in Solomon's Porch" [Acts 5:12, see also Prayer of Disciples Acts 4:30].
- "Also a multitude gathered from the surrounding cities to Jerusalem, bringing sick people and those who were tormented by unclean spirits, and they were all healed" [Acts 5:16 ].
Supernatural Acts of Peter
- "So that they brought the sick out into the streets and laid them on beds and couches, that at least the shadow of Peter passing by might fall on some of them" [Acts 5:15].
- Aeneas is healed. "And there he found a certain man named Aeneas, which had kept his bed eight years, and was sick of the palsy. And Peter said unto him, Aeneas, Jesus Christ makes thee whole: arise, and make thy bed. And he arose immediately. And all that dwelt at Lydda and Saron saw him, and turned to the Lord" [Acts 9:33-35 and Acts 9:33-35 ].
- Tabitha [Dorcas] is raised from the dead by Peter. "And it came to pass in those days, that she was sick, and died: whom when they had washed, they laid her in an upper chamber...But Peter put them all forth [Mark 5:40], and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning him to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up. And he gave her his hand, and lifted her up, and when he had called the saints and widows, presented her alive" [Acts 9:36-41 and Acts 9:36-41].
- Ananias and Sapphira Are Punished. "Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out" [Acts 5:1-10 and Acts 5:1-10].
Supernatural Acts by Deacon Stephen
- "And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people" [Acts 6:5, Acts 6:8].
- Steven has open vision of Jesus in heaven before death [Acts 7:55-56].
Supernatural Acts by Deacon Philip
- "And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. For unclean spirits, crying with a loud voice, came out of many who were possessed; and many who were paralyzed and lame were healed" [Acts 8:6-7].
- Philip transported by the Spirit of the Lord out of the desert to Azotus. "And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing But Philip was found at Azotus" [Acts 8:26-40].
- "The house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy" [Acts 21:8-9].
Supernatural Acts by Disciple Ananias
- "Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, Ananias and he said, 'Here I am, Lord'" [Acts 9:10-16].
- "And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit. Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized [Acts 9:17-18].
Supernatural Acts by the Prophet Agabus
- "Then one of them, named Agabus, stood up and showed by the Spirit that there was going to be a great famine throughout all the world, which also happened in the days of Claudius Caesar" [Acts 11:28 and Acts 11:28].
- "And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. When he had come to us, he took Paul's belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, thus says the Holy Spirit, 'So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles' [Acts 21:10-13 and Acts 21:10-13].
Supernatural Acts by Paul
- Crippled man at Lystra is healed. "And in Lystra a certain man without strength in his feet was sitting, a cripple from his mother's womb, who had never walked. This man heard Paul speaking. Paul, observing him intently and seeing that he had faith to be healed, said with a loud voice, Stand up straight on your feet! And he leaped and walked" [Acts 14:8-10 and Acts 14:8-10].
- Elymas the sorcerer is blinded by Paul for a season. "But Elymas the sorcerer (for so his name is translated) withstood them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith. Then Saul, who also is called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him and said, 'O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord? And now, indeed, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you shall be blind, not seeing the sun for a time'. And immediately a dark mist fell on him, and he went around seeking someone to lead him by the hand. [Acts 13:8-11 and Acts 13:8-11].
- Deliverance of girl with a spirit of divination. "Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling. This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, 'These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation'. And this she did for many days. But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, 'I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her'. And he came out that very hour" [Acts 16:16-18 and Acts 16:16-18].
- "Now God worked unusual miracles by the hands of Paul, so that even handkerchiefs or aprons were brought from his body to the sick, and the diseases left them and the evil spirits went out of them [Acts 19:11-12 and Acts 19:11-12].
- Restoring life to Eutychus after fall. "And in a window sat a certain young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep. He was overcome by sleep; and as Paul continued speaking, he fell down from the third story and was taken up dead. But Paul went down, fell on him, and embracing him said, 'Do not trouble yourselves, for his life is in him'[Acts 20:9-10 and Acts 20:9-10].
- Paul Is Unharmed by a Viper. "But when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks and laid them on the fire, a viper came out because of the heat, and fastened on his hand. So when the natives saw the creature hanging from his hand, they said to one another, 'No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he has escaped the sea, yet justice does not allow to live.' But he shook off the creature into the fire and suffered no harm" [Acts 28:3-5, Mark 16:18, Acts 28:3-5].
- Healing of Publius' Father. "In that region there was an estate of the leading citizen of the island, whose name was Publius, who received us and entertained us courteously for three days. And it happened that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and dysentery. Paul went in to him and prayed, and he laid his hands on him and healed him. So when this was done, the rest of those on the island who had diseases also came and were healed" [Acts 28:7-9 and Acts 28:7-9].
Supernatural Knowledge Given to Paul
- Paul prophesies to ship owners, "Men, I perceive that this voyage will end with disaster and much loss, not only of the cargo and ship, but also our lives"[Acts 27:10]. Paul prophesies again no loss of life during violently storm [Acts 27:22, See complete passage Acts 27:10-44].
Miraculous Releases from Prison
- Twelve released from prison. "Laid their hands on the apostles and put them in the common prison. But at night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said, Go, stand in the temple and speak to the people all the words of this life" [Acts 5:18 and Acts 5:18-21].
- Peter released from prison. "Now behold,an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up, saying, 'Arise quickly!' And his chains fell off his hands" [Acts 12:7 and Acts 12:3-19].
- Paul and Silas released from prison. "But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone's chains were loosed" [Acts 16:24-25 and Acts 16:20-34].
"The followers of Jesus were first called Christians in Antioch" [Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28, 1 Peter 4:16]. The word Christian comes from the word [ Χριστιανoς Christianos]. Christianos originates from the Greek word [ Χριστος Christos ]. Christos means the "anointed".
The JFB Commentary states that the word Christian/Christianos probably originates from the Roman community of Antioch because of the termination of the word [Jamieson Fausset Brown Bible Commentary, p.78]. The Latin suffix -ianos is generally defined as "related to, belong to". The Roman community was saying the followers of Jesus Christ were "related to, belong to" Jesus Christ. This was not a term of respect because the Latin termination -ianos, widely used throughout the empire, often designated the slaves of the one with whose name it was compounded.
The Jewish community called the followers of Jesus, "Nazarenes". Both names were terms of reproach [John 1:46, Acts 24:5]. But you could say the followers of Jesus were "related to, belong to" the Christos the "anointed".
Christians belong to and are related to the anointing. Jesus told the disciples to stay in Jerusalem, "until you are endued with power from on high" [Luke 24:49]. A disciple must be endued or clothed in power to do what Jesus has called us to do. The Greek word for the English word power is δυναμις dunamis. A believer must have power to fulfill the Great Commission of Jesus Christ [Luke 24:47, Matthew 28:18]. Jesus said, "You shall receive dunamis power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth" [Acts 1:8].
Crowds came in from the villages around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those possessed by evil spirits, and they were all healed -Acts 5:16
The rest of those on the island who had diseases also came and were healed -Acts 28:9