The Nature of God and His Word
"So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it" [Isaiah 55:11 and NASB].
- God's Word is not returning to God void, without producing any effect, empty, or useless [AMP, NASB].
- God's Word is going to accomplish, produce, succeed, and make effect in what God pleases.
- God's Word is going to prosper, advance, and make progress everywhere God sends it. Gesinus' lexicon describes the word prosper as to "go over or through as a river".
He sends out His command to the earth; His word runs very swiftly [Psalms 147:15]. The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it [Psalms 68:11].
To really understand the inherent power in the Word of God, we need to investigate what the scripture say about itself. The Bible states, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God" [2 Timothy 3:16].
The word inspiration in this text is the Greek word θεοπνευστος theopneustos. This Greek word is a combination word from Theos "God" + Pepneustai "to breathe". It means literally God breathed. All scripture is the product of God's breath or God-breathed-ness. God himself speaks (or breathes) the scripture.
This is significant because we read in Genesis 2:7, "the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul" [NASB]. You can see the biblical connection between the words; breath, inspiration, and life.
"The Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" [Hebrews 4:12 and AMP].
Jesus said, "The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life" [John 6:63].
God's breath produces life. God's Word also produces life. God's Word is a living powerful force. God's Word contains the ability or power to do what it says. Healing scriptures contain within them the capacity to produce healing. Deliverance scriptures have the inherent ability to produce deliverance.
"By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible" [Hebrews 11:3].
God formed the entire universe by His spoken word. God's Word contains the power to produce what He says. Just as when God said, "Let there be light" and there was light [Genesis 1:3]. In fact, God would call into existences seven things with his spoken word at creation [Genesis 1:3; 1:6; 1:9; 1:11; 1:14; 1:20; 1:24]. God didn't call humans into existences. God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being [Genesis 2:7, Genesis 1:26].
- God, who quickens the dead, and calls those things which be not as though they were. [Romans 4:17].
- Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure [Isaiah 46:10].
- By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth [Psalms 33:6].
- For He spoke, and it was done. He commanded, and it stood fast [Psalms 33:9].
- Let them praise the name of the LORD, for He commanded and they were created [Psalms 148:5].
- In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light [Genesis 1:1-3].
Jeremiah 1:12[KJV] Then said the LORD unto me, Thou hast well seen: for I will hasten my word to perform it [Jeremiah 1:12].
[NKJV]Then the LORD said to me, You have seen well, for I am ready to perform My word.
[NASB] Then the LORD said to me, You have seen well, for I am watching over My word to perform it.
[NIV] The Lord said to me, You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled.
[AMP] Then said the Lord to me, You have seen well, for I am alert and active, watching over My word to perform it.
"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled" [Matthew 5:17-18].
"Then He said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me" [Luke 24:44].
God Has Magnified His Word Above All His Name
"I will worship toward Your holy temple, and praise Your name for Your loving kindness and Your truth. For You have magnified Your Word above all Your name" [Psalms 138:2].
God's Word is Forever Settled in Heaven
For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven [Psalms 119:89]. Forever, O Lord, your word stands firm in heaven [NLT].
Jesus said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away" [Matthew 24:35, Mark 13:31, Luke 21:33].
"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever" [Isaiah 40:8].
"But the word of the LORD endures forever. Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you" [1 Peter 1:25].
Titus 1:2[KJV] In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began [Titus 1:2].
[NASB] In the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago,
Numbers 23:19[KJV]God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good [Numbers 23:19]?
[NLT] God is not a man, that he should lie. He is not a human, that he should change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through?
[NASB] God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?
[AMP]God is not a man, that He should tell or act a lie, neither the son of man, that He should feel repentance or compunction [for what He has promised]. Has He said and shall He not do it? Or has He spoken and shall He not make it good?
Psalms 89:34[KJV] My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips [Psalms 89:34].
[NLT] No, I will not break my covenant; I will not take back a single word I said.
[NASB] My covenant I will not violate, Nor will I alter the utterance of My lips.
Hebrews 6:18[KJV]That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us [Hebrews 6:18]
[NASB] So that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us.
[NLT] So God has given us both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can take new courage, for we can hold on to his promise with confidence.
Webster's dictionary [1913 Edition] defines immutable as "not subject or susceptible to change or variation in form or quality or nature". Because God has no beginning and no ending, He can not change. God never changes His mind [Isaiah 46:9-10 and Numbers 23:19].
For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed [ Malachi 3:6]. The counsel of the LORD stands forever,The plans of His heart to all generations [Psalms 33:11].
But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end [Psalm 102:27]. Of old You founded the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands. Even they will perish, but You endure. And all of them will wear out like a garment, like clothing You will change them and they will be changed. But You are the same, and Your years will not come to an end [Psalms 102:25-27, NASB].
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning [James 1:17 ]. Whatever is good and perfect comes to us from God above, who created all heaven's lights. Unlike them, he never changes or casts shifting shadows [NLT].
Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath. That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us [Hebrews 6:17-18 and NASB].
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever [Hebrews 13:8].
- There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus [Galatians 3:28].
- There is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all. [Colossians 3:11, Ephesians 6:8]
- For the Lord your God is the God of gods and Lord of lords. He is the great God, the mighty and awesome God, who shows no partiality and cannot be bribed [Deuteronomy 10:17, NLT].
- Wherefore now let the fear of the LORD be upon you; take heed and do it: for there is no iniquity with the LORD our God, nor respect of persons, nor taking of gifts [ 2 Chronicles 19:7].
- Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons. But in every nation he that fears him, and works righteousness, is accepted with him. [Acts 10:34-35].
- For there is NO respect of persons with God [Romans 2:11].
- Even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is NO difference [Romans 3:22].
- And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judges according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear [1 Peter 1:17].
- But if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors
[James 2:9 and James 2:1].
- And you, masters, do the same things to them, giving up threatening, knowing that your own Master also is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him [Ephesian 6:9 and Colossians 3:25].
- Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world. Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God [Psalms 90:2]. Before the mountains were created, before you made the earth and the world, you are God, without beginning or end [NLT].
- Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and thy dominion endures throughout all generations [Psalms 145:13].
- Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting [Psalms 93:2].
- The eternal God is your refuge, And underneath are the everlasting arms. He will thrust out the enemy from before you, And will say, Destroy [Deuteronomy 33:27]!
- Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth [Psalms 119:142].
- But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children [Psalms 103:17].
- Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting! Amen and Amen [Psalms 41:13].
- For thus says the High and Lofty One, Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy. I dwell in the high and holy place, with him who has a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, And to revive the heart of the contrite ones [Isaiah 57:15].
- Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen [1 Timothy 1:7 and NASB].
- And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory [1 Timothy 3:16]
- I urge you in the sight of God who gives life to all things, and before Christ Jesus who witnessed the good confession before Pontius Pilate. That you keep this commandment without spot, blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ's appearing, which He will manifest in His own time. He who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see, to whom be honor and everlasting power. Amen [1 Timothy 6:13-16].
- As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him [Psalms 18:30]. As for God, His way is perfect. The word of the LORD is proven. He is a shield to all who trust in Him [Psalms 18:30, NKJV].
- The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times [Psalms 12:6]. Thy word is very pure; therefore thy servant loves it [Psalms 119:160]. Every word of God is pure; he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him [Proverbs 30:5].
- For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth [Psalms 33:4]. Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endures for ever [Psalms 119:160].
- The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes [Psalms 19:7-8].
- The entrance of thy words gives light; it gives understanding unto the simple [Psalms 119:130]. Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path [Psalms 119:105].
- He sends forth his commandment upon earth; his word runs very swiftly [Psalms 147:15]. The Lord gave the word; great was the company of those that published it [Psalms 68:11].
- You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies. For they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, For Your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Your precepts [Psalms 119:98-100].